We recognise that many who are Welsh eligible and can represent Wales at the Home International Regatta, are based in clubs across the UK. There are also those who are Welsh eligible, based at clubs in Wales who do not meet the criteria for the Welsh Rowing/World Class Start programme. Welsh Rowing recognises that these individuals deserve support to aid their development, tailored to their current situation.
The elements of the different support we will provide for junior athlete development are:
- Development days
- Land and water Camps
- International regatta experience
- A developmental resource for clubs and coaches
The Development days are aimed at those targeting representing Wales at the forthcoming HIR regatta. These events can be single days or residentials, depending on facilities, dates and resources available. Notice of at least one month in advance will be given of any events, to allow for individuals to plan and confirm their attendance.
Development days namely consist of physical assessments and training on land and water, with the inclusion of educational sessions. Past development events have comprised of:
- Water skills assessment
- Water performance pieces (Time Trials)
- Yogability with Alecs Donovan
- Guest speakers – Benjamin Pritchard, Beccy Muzerie, Tom Barras
- Performance psychology
It is our intention to take a development group to international regattas in 2022.
Alongside this guidance resource, we deliver an annual Webinar series, which this year will begin at the start of the 2021 season in September. The series, much like The Spiderweb, aims to deliver holistic content and information, and is in line with the content of The Spiderweb. The content and order of the series is:
- Living Well with Lloyd Ashley (Mental Health for Athletes)
- Robustness and High Performance – Athlete Perspective
- Performance Lifestyle
- Physio Basics and Injury Prevention
- Strength and Conditioning the Basics
- Nutrition – Barriers and Practicalities